New Delhi India, 4th February, World Cancer Day: On the occasion of World Cancer Day, the Indian Medical Association said that cancer is preventable and curable provided it is detected early. IMA National President Padma Shri Awardee Dr A M Pillai and Honorary Secretary General Padma Shri Awardee Dr K K Aggarwal released guidelines for cancer prevention for the public.
Addressing a press conference here today the IMA officials said that any symptoms or sign which is unusual, appearing for the first time or which cannot be explained should not be ignored.
Padma Shri Awardees Dr Rajesh Grover and Dr Ashok Vaid, in a joint statement said that most cancers can be prevented with a correct and healthy lifestyle.
The following guidelines were released at the press conference.
Nine warning signals of cancer
1. Unusual bleeding or discharge from any site or orifice (even a single episode, especially if painless).
2. A lump, nodule or swelling in any part of the body (especially in breast).
3. An ulcer or wound anywhere that does not heal, including mouth cavity.
4. Persistent irritating cough or hoarseness of voice.
5. Indigestion or pain difficulty during swallowing.
6. Recent change in bowel or bladder habits.
7. Obvious change in shape, size or appearance of a wart or mole.
8. Repeated headaches, progressive change in vision, convulsions or progressive weakness of one part or side of the body.
9. Unexplained irregular fever, progressive weight loss, and persistent loss in appetite or progressive weakness.
General lifestyle recommendations
IMA Delhi State Cancer Institute Pledge
I will keep
1. Myself away from tobacco/betel/quid in all forms like smoking, chewing, sniffing, dental paste/powders etc.
2. In my meals regularly a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains - red/yellow/green leafy vegetables, fruits, beans etc.
3. Away from non-vegetarian food and even if I take, I shall limit consumption of red meat (like beef, pork, lamb) and avoid processed meats.
4. Myself free from HPV (Human Papilloma Virus), HBV (Hepatitis B Virus) and HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) infections.
5. Myself physically active and do at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
6. My weight within normal range.
7. Low, my consumption of high energy low fiber foods and drinks.
8. Low, my consumption of high salty, pickled, smoked foods and foods processed with salt.
9. Alcohol consumption to the minimum, if at all I take.
10. My children on breastfeed exclusively for up to first 6 months after birth and then add other liquids and foods (if applicable).
11. Compliance with the recommendations of my doctors during treatment as well as during follow-up, in case I happen to suffer from cancer at any stage in my life.
12. My fight back against cancer and will not default in treatment, if I ever happen to suffer from cancer.
13. Myself checked up once in a year, even if I do not have any symptoms.
Read More: Health