Brasilia, Feb 21 (IANS) World soccer governing body FIFA could take legal action if Brazil city Recife cancels its open-air entertainment programme during this year's World Cup.
The Recife prefecture last week said it could not afford to bankroll the FIFA fan fest, which provides live broadcasts of matches and entertainment free of charge in each of Brazil's 12 host cup cities.
At a press conference during the World Cup workshop in the southern city of Florianopolis Thursday, FIFA's marketing director Thierry Weil said Recife was obliged to stage the fan event.
"If you have an established contract with a partner and that partner doesn't respond, legal action can be taken. But we will wait to see what happens," Weil said.
"We have to have fan fests in all cities and if needed we will speak to our lawyers."
Recife's 46,000-seat Arena Pernambuco will host five matches during the June 12-July 13 tournament.
Weil revealed FIFA is prepared to compromise with the local government.
"We can negotiate, reduce some of the attractions and change the location," he added.