London, Aug 10 (ANI): A British army chief in Afghanistan has warned that the Taliban fighters are planning 'very spectacular' attack in the country's Helmand province.
Brig Ed Davis, the Royal Marine commander of British forces in Helmand, admitted that despite taking out 16 commanders in the last 12 weeks, Taliban fighters would continue to focus on launching large scale terrorist atrocities.
"A hard core are left that are hard to kill or capture and sophisticated in their targeting. They will look at more spectacular attacks and high profile attacks targeting ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) and Afghan commanders," the Telegraph quoted Davis, as saying.
"It's a case of trying to find them. We know who they are," he said.
"They are very competent, they have been doing this for a long time and their tactics techniques and procedures have evolved like ours," he added.
He said that there were now very advanced intelligence methods of listening into the Taliban commanders but some were still difficult to track down.
"We are getting better at it but so are they," the officer added.
The paper quoted him, as saying that the insurgents wanted to 'convinced people they are winning'.
Brig Davis said the 'very spectacular' operations would try and get inside the communities protected by security forces and would be 'more obvious to the media'.
He pointed out that the significant gains made in Helmand 'are still reversible' and that the Taliban was still 'a long way off from being defeated'.
His words came after the deaths of 30 US Navy Seal Special Forces killed after their Chinook was shot down this week and followed the Afghan president's half-brother Ahmad Wali Karzai's murder in Kandahar last month. (ANI)
Read More: Chino