Purnalu is a sweet dessert and it is a delicacy of Andhra. This delicious sweet is commonly made during the festival times. It is made with chana dal and jaggery as the main ingredients. Do try this recipe and let us know how it turned out for you in the comments section below.
Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 6-7 persons
Raw Rice - 1/2 cup
Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
Chana Dal - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 3 Tsp
Grated Coconut - 3/4 cup
Oil for deep frying
1. Firstly, soak the rice and urud dal for 4 hours
2. Soak the chana dal for 4 hours
3. After soaking the chana dal for about 4 hours, pressure cook it with minimal water for about 3 to 4 whistles.
4. Now dissolve the jaggery in water and bring it to a boil.
5. Turn off the stove once the jaggery has completely dissolved and keep it aside.
6. In a wide pan, heat some ghee and add the coconut and roast it for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Now add the cooked chana dal and mix it evenly.
8. Strain and add the jaggery syrup to the coconut-chana mixture and mix it evenly.
9. In the meantime, ground some cardamom pods and add it to the mixture.
10. Add some ghee and cook it till the excess moisture evaporates.
11. After the mixture thickens, turn off the stove and set it aside.
12. Now for the batter, grind the soaked rice and urud dal together
13. Make golf ball sized balls of the chana dal jaggery mixture
14. In the meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan
15. Dip the balls in the batter and fry it.
16. Take the balls out when they turn golden brown.
FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/HomeCookingShow
INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/homecookingshow
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/VentunoCooking
A Ventuno Production : http://www.ventunotech.com