ELA ADA | Sweets & Savouries
Ada or Ela Ada, is a Traditional South Indian delicacy. It is most famous in Kerala, and can be found in several areas on Tamil Nadu as well. It is a heavenly yet healthy mixture of the sweetness of coconut and melted jaggery which is hidden and sealed within a layer of steamed rice flour dough. It is served as evening snack or as part of breakfast. Ela Ada can be made in wheat and rice flour and the fillings can vary as you prefer. It is one of the healthiest delicacies out there since it is steamed and not fried in oil or ghee like most are.
For melting jaggery
Jaggery - 200 grams
Ghee - 2 Tsp.
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 Tsp.
For boiling water
Rice flour - 1 cup
Ghee/Oil - 1 Tsp.
Banana leaf to wrap
1. Pour some water in a pan and add the jaggery to it.
2. Keep mixing gently to avoid the jaggery sticking to the surface of the pan, and melt the jaggery completely.
3. In a wide sauce pan, roast a whole cup of fresh grated coconut in 2 tsp.’s of ghee. Roast it for a few minutes until the colour of the coconut changes slightly.
4. Once roasted, add the melted jaggery to the pan, pouring it through a sieve.
5. Mix the coconut and jaggery together. Let it cook till it thickens.
6. Add some cardamom powder and ghee now.
7. Turn off the stove and let it cool.
8. Pour some water in a pan and add some salt. Let the water come to a boil.
9. Once the water starts boiling, turn off the stove.
10. Take a cup of rice flour and a tsp. ghee in a mixing bowl.
11. Pour the boiling water in the bowl and mix well.
12. Mix the flour till you get a nice tough dough.
13. Now, take a banana leaf, and cut them up into several pieces, to seal and cook the ada’s.
14. Take some dough and roll it in your palm to form small balls.
15. Flatten the dough and place it on the center of the banana leaf piece. Pat the dough to flatten it evenly.
16. Now, place some of the jaggery-coconut mixture in the center and spread it.
17. Fold the leaf and seal it, making sure to press down on all sides.
18. Once the steamer is ready, place the banana leafs on the trays and place the trays in the steamer. Steam cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
19. Voila! Your Ela Ada’s are ready to be served, nice and hot.
You can increase or decrease the amount of jaggery used based on your tolerance to sweet. If you prefer your sweets to have less sweetness, you can decrease the quantity of jaggery to about 150 grams, and if you prefer it extremely sweet, then you can slightly increase the quantity.
Visit our website – http://www.21frames.in/homecooking
Follow us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/HomeCookingShow
Follow us on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/homecookingshow/
Follow us on Twitter – https://twitter.com/VentunoCooking
Subscribe to us on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/VentunoHomeCooking
A Ventuno Production – http://www.ventunotech.com