Saturn's moon Titan has a lake containing liquid hydrocarbons
Washington, July 31 (ANI): NASA scientists have confirmed the presence of a large lake on Saturn's moon Titan, which contains liquid hydrocarbons, making it the only body in our solar system beyond Earth known to have liquid on its surface.
Scientists made the discovery using data from an instrument aboard the Cassini spacecraft. The instrument identified chemically different materials based on the way they absorb and reflect infrared light.
Before Cassini, scientists thought Titan would have global oceans of methane, ethane and other light hydrocarbons.
More than 40 close flybys of Titan by Cassini show no such global oceans exist, but hundreds of dark lake-like features are present. Until now, it was not known whether these features were liquid or simply dark, solid material.
"This is the first observation that really pins down that Titan has a surface lake filled with liquid," said Bob Brown of the University of Arizona, Tucson.
Ethane and several other simple hydrocarbons have been identified in Titan's atmosphere, which consists of 95 percent nitrogen, with methane making up the other 5 percent.
Ethane and other hydrocarbons are products from atmospheric chemistry caused by the breakdown of methane by sunlight. Some of the hydrocarbons react further and form fine aerosol particles.
All of these things in Titan's atmosphere make detecting and identifying materials on the surface difficult, because these particles form a ubiquitous hydrocarbon haze that hinders the view.
Liquid ethane was identified using a technique that removed the interference from the atmospheric hydrocarbons.
The visual and mapping instrument observed a lake, Ontario Lacus, in Titan's south polar region during a close Cassini flyby in December 2007. The lake is roughly 7,800 square miles in area, slightly larger than North America's Lake Ontario.
"Detection of liquid ethane confirms a long-held idea that lakes and seas filled with methane and ethane exist on Titan," said Larry Soderblom, a Cassini interdisciplinary scientist with the US Geological Survey in Flagstaff, Arizona.
"The fact we could detect the ethane spectral signatures of the lake even when it was so dimly illuminated, and at a slanted viewing path through Titan's atmosphere, raises expectations for exciting future lake discoveries by our instrument," he added.
The ethane is in a liquid solution with methane, other hydrocarbons and nitrogen. At Titan's surface temperatures, approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit below zero, these substances can exist as both liquid and gas.
Titan shows overwhelming evidence of evaporation, rain, and fluid-carved channels draining into what, in this case, is a liquid hydrocarbon lake.
According to Soderblom, "During the next few years, the vast array of lakes and seas on Titan's north pole mapped with Cassini's radar instrument will emerge from polar darkness into sunlight, giving the infrared instrument rich opportunities to watch for seasonal changes of Titan's lakes." (ANI)
Read More: North Goa | Karna Lake | Dal Lake Bo | Seramau(south) | Dhikala Nc Park(seasonal) | Sattal Edso (seasonal ) | Lake-view-camp So | North T.t.nagar | Survey Of India | Jammalamadugu North | Chittoor North | Tirumala North | Srikalahasti North So | North Gopalapuram | Hessarghatta Lake | Periyar Lake Ndbo | Lake Market | Lake Gardens | Lake Town | North Bengal University So | Lake Town Ndso | More | Sode
NOT ENOUGH REASONS TO BAN IPL, SAYS N SRINIVASAN
May 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM
"BCCI DOESN___T COMES UNDER RTI, SAYS BCCI BOSS "
May 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
"WILL TAKE ACTION AFTER GETTING REPORT FROM DELHI POLICE: SHUKLA "
May 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM