The 23-year old paramedical students who had been brutally raped and assaulted by a group of six men, died on Singapore's Mount Elizabeth Hospital Saturday morning due to brain injury and cardiac arrest, hospital sources said.
The hospital in a released statement said that the victim took her last breath at 4.45 a.m. (2.15 a.m. IST). Her dead body would be send till Saturday evening to New Delhi.
After the death of the victims, the protest again begins in New Delhi while administration has imposed section 144 in the capital.
As she had been shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore on Thursday, the question began to rise over the intension of her shifting. Some said this decision was politically motivated; some said, it was unnecessary as the given reason of the doctors to do organ transplant in Mount Elizabeth Hospital, was also available in India while others said that it was necessary to do so.
After her death, these questions have become stronger. Home Minister Shinde defends this decision:
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde defends the decision of sending the girl to Singapore for multi organ surgeries, citing, ?We sent her (to Singapore) on the recommendations of the doctors attending to her and Dr (Naresh) Trehan.?
After the death of the girl, Prime Minister in his condolence message said that her death won't go in vain and government will try to give maximum punishment to the culprits.
"I want to tell them and the nation that while she may have lost her battle for life, it is up to us all to ensure that her death will not have been in vain. The government is examining, on priority basis, the penal provisions that exist for such crimes and measures to enhance the safety and security of women."
President Pranab Mukherjee condoled the death of victim and called her 'the true hero'. "She was a brave and courageous girl who fought till the very last minute for her dignity and her life. She is a true hero and symbolises the best in Indian youth and women."
He asked the government to "ensure that such an incident never happens again."
Union Home Minister said that chargesheet against the accused will be filled very soon and maximum punishment to the culprits would be ensured. The government will also amend in the laws to make it stricter so that in future these sorts of cases can be prevented.
Ten Metro stations - Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhavan, Race Course, Jor Bagh, Khan Market - on Saturday morning at 07:40 a.m. have been closed until further notice.
After the death of the girl, the protests have been resumed in Delhi and the protest march is going on across the capital and NCR. To prevent any mis-happenings, the administrator have imposed section 144.
The Delhi Police have stated the Delhi Police will file chargesheet till Jan 03, 2013 and now the section of 302 (murder charges) will be added into the chargesheet. Earlier, investigators had earlier pressed charges against them under sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC.
The body of the Delhi gang rape victim, will be flown to India by a special chartered aircraft this afternoon along with her parents, Indian High Commissioner to Singapore, T.C.A. Raghavan told reporters. Her body has been released after conducting post mortem.